Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Arch-nemesis

I heard the word nemesis the other day and while working in my garden I realized that I have an arch-nemesis. THE THISTLE.


While this weed may look harmless it is the prickliest, worst weed ever. The spot where my garden is used to be pasture grass... there is still a lot of grass in the garden, some days I don't know whether to weed or mow the garden... anyhow when I killed(thinned out) the pasture grass to make room for my plants, the thistle decided it was time to move in.

I wear gloves and the stickers poke right through and get you. I have been poked so many times that I am becoming overly bitter and have reached the point of declaring the thistle my arch-nemesis. I even want to kill the random ones on the side of the road so they don't spread to my yard. The only good thistle is a dead one.

(this is the pile of dead weeds out of my garden) Hopefully the rest of the garden will survive the summer. It has all grown a lot more since the heat has come but then Biscuit likes to "mark" my tomato plants. One is dead...
I can't blame it and the other shows signs of wishing it was dead. See the brown leaves at the bottom?


Other than gardening we have had a fun week. We had Grandma Rhonda visit after all the Bensons were here for the 4th and Olivia's blessing. We recruited everyone and had them be in the Idaho Falls Parade with our old car and some residents.

I am not sure how much they enjoyed it but we sure had fun with them. We wish they could come up more often. As they were leaving Ryan's mom pulled in for a little visit. We sure enjoy her company. We went to the zoo with her and Grandma Benson.

I didn't have a picture of Grandma Rhonda and Luke but she was there and helped juggle the diaper bag, stroller, wheelchair and baby. We were sad to see her go.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I wish I had your pile of weeds, mine is 100 times that size. I have decided that the thistle is Satan in plant form, we had them all over our lawn last year and Bryce took a sock and touched the tops of them with round-up and they died but so did my grass around it, so be careful. My mom said that if you take a q-tip and dab just a little round up on the plant that's all it takes to kill it, I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth a try!

Ryan and Annalyn said...

I was totally thinking that Satan himself must have created that plant but then I wasn't sure that he created anything...???... anyhow I agree that it is him in plant form.

And We Sailed On said...

OH I Hate those thistles! You need some thick leather gloves! Yikes!
It was so fun to see you and Luke and I'm so glad to catch up on life a bit.
Way to go on the garden!!!
Emily