Thursday, October 9, 2008

Domestication

With the addition of Luke to our family all my feeble excuses for not being "domestic" have gone out the window. I have told myself for 4 years that once I stayed home and had kids I would nurture the homemaking side of myself. I am sure there has to be a homemaking side in there somewhere being the oldest of eleven and the daughter of a champion house wife. Luke hasn't been convinced yet...


My first goal was to do some canning. I had planned to have a garden and then can what I had grown. Well, being 9 month pregnant at garden planting time was the perfect excuse not to do the garden. I just didn't have the energy or drive to get it done. My back-up plan was to buy some fruit and go from there. I missed strawberry season with a newborn and then my mom convinced me that peaches were too expensive and it was more cost effective to buy them already canned. I had almost given up on my goal and then Lyndi offered to let me pick some of her uncle's corn and so I could can it. She doesn't know it but she saved me! I was able to pick some corn, call my mom for instructions and tips, and with the help of Pete and Heidi (couldn't have done it without them) I canned some corn!

We actually ate some this week and it was delicious! I have started on the road to being a canner!

My next goal has been one since I got married. I have had a goal to cook dinner regularly. It may sound funny to some of you but we have fallen into the habit of eating out more than eating at home. With just to two of us for so many years and also working together. I was tired when we got home from work and we were both hungry so more often than not we would run and get something to eat or pick something up on the way home from work. This week I have cooked every night! As Ryan pointed out, I think it is a record for us. To celebrate we are going out to dinner and a movie tonight. :)

My last goal is to be a good mom. I am sure that I won't reach this in one shot. Luke promises that he will make it easy on me.

I can't complain so far. He is getting to be more and more fun. He is now rolling all over the floor and loves to be able to do it. He is playing with toys, smiling, and laughing. We have tried to get the laughing on video but all we get is the two of us acting like crazies trying to get a somber kid to smile. As soon as the camera is off he will do what ever we want! We are starting to sleep train Luke and that has been going relatively well. The only worrisome thing is his last encounter with his cousin Carter...

Luke was caught red-handed letting Carter know who was the older cousin! We will have to keep our eyes on this one.

I am sure I will share all my domestic milestones as I reach them, so stay tuned ...

6 comments:

Vertex Stand Up Paddleboards said...

Luke is probably the best looking rasmussen in the family. until me and deidre have kids- live it up lukey

Sandi said...

You go Annalyn! I did apricot jam this year. Baby steps for me... I'll get the hang of it one of these years!!

Callie said...

canning! impressive, i will say that one seems to far out of my reach, and too much work! tell me how sleep training goes, we are a few weeks behind!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for saying hi on my blog! I am so excited that you've started one as well.

Luke is absolutely darling. It fills me with warmth to know you have a beautiful, happy, healthy baby.

I have canned other things, but I've never done corn. One of these days I might have to learn. :)

Natalie said...

Congrats on the corn it looks yummy!! Canning is fun but a lot of work, I know I have been doing it all summer!!!! Luke is getting so big I can't believe it, he is so cute, props to you two. I can't wait till Colton and Luke get a little older, we might be getting calls from the primary president, poor lady!!

Callie said...

well annalyn, seeing as on days i get bored i look at your blog more than once.. i think you need to post more :)