Sunday, January 9, 2011

We made it!

Well we made it to San Jose. Here are some of the highlights and low-lights of our journey...

Highlight: All the help packing us. Thank you Mom, Tamy, Matt and Pete.
Lowlight: Seeing our house empty and realizing that this was for reals. We are really going to miss Idaho.

Highlight: Making it from Rexburg to Winnemuca on our first day of travel
Lowlight: Losing Noah's blanket in the hotel parking lot (I assume, I know I had it when I walked out of the hotel but realized a couple of hours down the road that it wasn't anywhere!

Highlight: Seeing the beauty of a snow covered Donner Pass. We didn't expect the drive to be so mountainous but it was really pretty and covered in snow.
Lowlight: Realizing after his 4th time puking that Noah just might be one that gets car sick. Apparently the mountain passes and being in the middle of the back seat wasn't doing it for him. We had to roll down the window so the rest of us didn't add the lingering odors. I think the fresh air put his stomach at ease.

Highlight: Arriving in San Jose a day earlier than we expected.
Lowlight: Car window being smashed open in the hotel parking lot our first night there. We were the last in a string of cars the vandals got. I heard they caught them with our car door open and so they didn't take much and took off running. They were caught and were staying in the hotel next door. We have an appointment to take the truck in on Tuesday.

Highlight: Finding a pet friendly hotel room that was large enough for the 5 of us. It had basically two rooms and best of all two tvs for the kids to turn on and off over and over and over!
Lowlight: Luke pulling the fire alarm in the hallway. Yep, opened up and pulled the handle. He also almost removed the fire extinguisher and pulled off the inspection stickers on the emergency lighting on two other trips to take the dog out.

Highlight: Finding an all you can eat buffet after what seemed like weeks of fast food. It was like Ryan and I were in "real" food heaven
Lowlight: Ryan getting sick for 2 days following the "real" food.

Highlight: Having the movers drop off all our stuff and being able to shut the doors and have our own space for the kids and dog to run.
Lowlight: UNPACKING! It has taken me a week but I feel like this is our home now. (I did leave a lot packed in the garage, seeing as we are only here for 6 months.)

Highlight: Beautiful weather, sunny and 60 degrees. This is a summer vacation for us.
Lowlight: People everywhere! No more wide open spaces of the Idaho countryside.

As you can see it is all a matter of perspective. We are here, healthy, and happy to be together. I feel like I can breathe after a month of the stress of moving hanging over my head. We think that we will really like it here but miss Idaho already.

I will try to post pictures of our new house but Noah is waking up from his nap and that means my time gets eaten up pretty quick.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ohh, Annalyn. That sounds like such a difficult trip. You did a great job posting a positive post on so many difficult experiences. I hope you are all settled in and enjoy the time you have there.